part of the Comanche frontier, the Inks Ranch is
part of a Texas
land grant originally deeded to the Mathew Moss
for his service in Sherman’s Regiment during
the Texas Revolution.
He was at San Jacinto when Mexican Gen. Santa Anna was defeated and
For that service he was given a Head
right on the
frontier, a league and a labor; 4605 acres of
In 1857 Mathew Moss brought his wife,
children and more than a hundred head of cattle
to southern Llano County.
There they raised nine children and
ranched this rugged and rolling tract when the
nearby town of Llano was largely a frontier trading post. In
1864 Aaron Firmon Moss was born in
County and just two years
later his mother died.
In 1875 Mathew Moss died and A F Moss was
raised by his older brother Charles and his
At the age of eighteen A F Moss and
Charles Moss bought about 30,000 acres of land
to expand their cattle operation.
As with most young men of substance on
the lonesome frontier, in 1892 A F Moss married
Etta Passmore and they had three children Mark,
Luke, and Myrtle. By 1897 he and his brother
Charles decided to partition their undivided
land holdings save for 1200 acres around
Enchanted Rock which they continued to hold in
The Moss family continued to buy and sell land
throughout the middle of the twentieth century. They
were a pioneer family in Llano County.
With A F Moss’s passing in 1946, Mark, Luke and
Myrtle Moss continued that tradition into the next
Mark and Luke leased their sister’s land and she married
Roy B. Inks. A local business man. They lived in Llano
where he was the Ford auto dealer and also served as the
unpaid mayor for several terms bringing many
improvements to the town.
They raised two children Mildred and Jim Moss
Inks. Roy B.
Inks was appointed a Director and charter member of the
Lower Colorado River Authority.
He served with distinction until his sudden death
in 1935. The
LCRA named Inks Lake
and Dam in his honor. After Roy’s
passing, the family moved to
where both children grew to adulthood.
entry into WWll saw both Mildred and Jim in flight
She, as a WASP, flying new and repaired military
aircraft all around behind the lines to where they
needed to be; freeing up male pilots to fight on the war
flew more than forty missions in the European theatre as
a navigator, before being shot down behind enemy lines.
He spent nearly 11 months in the hands of the
before being liberated.
Jim Moss Inks remained in the Air Force, serving in many
different missions throughout the world.
He rose to the rank of Lt. Colonial before he
retired from the Air force in 1960.
Jim tried his hand at a couple of different
careers in Dallas, but
his love for his home in the Texas hill country never
left him. He
returned to Llano in 1965 to care for his mother and
became the next generation of Moss/Inks ranchmen to take
over this part of the Moss Ranch landholding. In 1966
the INKS RANCH was born.
Jims uncles, the previous generation of Moss ranchmen
were leasing his mothers’ land and when the leases
expired, Inks Ranch acquired polled Hereford cattle and exotic game hunting
already in place.
Through the years we have phased out the
cattle for Angus cross bred cattle and the exotic
animals have been free ranging for more than fifty
years. Jim also sold real estate and was active in civic
affairs in Llano.
Jim Moss Inks had two children, Roy B. Inks ll
and Suzanne Inks.
Inks Ranch LP was formed in 1983 to manage the various
parts of the ranch operations.
In 2004, Roy B Inks ll took over as managing
partner of Inks Ranch LP.
Roy retired from Texas Parks
and Wildlife Department with 28 years of public service.
He worked in the Regional Office as the
Operations and Maintenance Supervisor for most of the
hill country parks at one time or another, including
Lake and Enchanted Rock.
Petey has been a Cosmetologist in both
and Llano and between them they have raised four
children to adulthood; Robert, Robyn, Tiffany and
now have 6
grandchildren. In addition to raising kids and grandkids
they continue to raise Angus cross bred cattle, hunt
white tail deer and
exotic Black Buck antelope, Barbary
and Mouflon sheep, Fallow and Axis deer.
Inks Ranch has also joined with Jeep Jamboree
to allow limited access to jeeps for rock crawling and
gentle off road activities.
From the trails atop of Watch
one can look out over much of the 30.000 acres once
owned by Charles and Aaron Moss, including Enchanted
Enchanted Rock is a massive dome of solid granite that
can be seen from the Jeep trails, once you've ascended
Mountain. It's easy to see
why Enchanted Rock was once famed in Indian legends and
used as a lookout and rallying point: it's now a State
Park, of 640 acres and the 500-foot-tall dome. Along
with other nearby historic towns and landmarks, some
listed in the National Historic Registry, it attracts
many visitors to the region.
Today, Llano is called the Deer Capital of Texas, with
the density of deer in the
Basin pegged as the
highest in the nation. It's here; nestled among granite
domes, live oaks, and rolling hills that Roy and Petey
Inks have made the 2,500-acre Inks Ranch their home.
Today known for tourism, the Texas Hill Country was
declared "the No. 1 vacation spot in the nation" by the
New York Times, in 2008. Reflecting the origins of the
pioneers who first settled the area, the region has a
fusion of Spanish, Mexican, German, Swiss, Austrian,
Alsatian, and Czech influences in food, drink, and
atmosphere. The local area has also now become a
wine-growing area as well.